Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
Home Print this page Email this page
Users Online:: 6680
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2007  |  Volume : 10  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 29-33

Awareness of the risk of cigarette smoking among patients in north east Nigeria


1 Department of Medicine, State Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri, Nigeria
2 Respiratory Unit, Department of Medicine, Federal Medical Centre, Yola, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
F Salawu
P.O. Box 246, Maiduguri, 600001
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Background: There is paucity of information about awareness of the risks of cigarette smoking in Northern Nigeria. Objective: To determine patients' smoking habits and their awareness of the risk of cigarette smoking. Method: Cross-sectional hospital-based survey carried out between November 2005 and January 2006 on adult Nigerians attending medical outpatient clinics of the State Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri. Each patient completed a questionnaire on smoking habits and associated risk. Results: One thousand two hundred and thirty-two patients comprising 805 men and 427 women were recruited into the study. Of the total respondents, 1074 (87.2%) were non-smokers, leaving 158 (12.8%) smokers comprising 4 females and 154 men. A majority of respondents were unaware of the effects of cigarette smoking. Conclusion: The level of knowledge of the risks of smoking was very low in the study population. A response to the public health problem of tobacco therefore needs to be Intensified.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed1254    
    Printed45    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded65    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal