Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
Home Print this page Email this page
Users Online:: 201
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2010  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 141-146

Paediatrics HIV/AIDS: Clinical presentation and practical management challenges in Sokoto, Nigeria


Department of Paediatrics, Usamanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, PMB 2370, Sokoto, Nigeria

Correspondence Address:
N M JIYA
Department of Paediatrics, Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, PMB 2370, Sokoto
Nigeria
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


Rights and PermissionsRights and Permissions

Background: Implications of continuing HIV/AIDS pandemic in Nigeria is very grave for children. Lack of financial resources means care of children with HIV/AIDS is exceedingly difficult to provide. We described the clinical pattern and highlight the problems in the management of HIV/AIDS in children seen in Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital (UDUTH), Sokoto, Nigeria over a two-year period. Methods: This prospective study was carried out between 1 st January 2001 and 31 st December 2002. The clinical presentation of each patient satisfying the WHO diagnostic criteria for paediatrics HIV/AIDS, admitted consecutively into our Emergency Paediatrics Unit (EPU) was documented. Laboratory diagnosis was by Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) for HIV- I and HIV- II in affected children and their mothers while confirmatory test was by Western blot. Treatment of each patient was individualised. Results: A total of 41 children with HIV/AIDS were admitted into EPU over the study period. There were 22 males and 19 females with ratio of 1.2:1. Age ranged from 0.25 years to 14 years with mean (SD) of 1.5 (2.2) years. Forty - one (97.6%) patients were aged 5 years and below. Modes of transmission were vertical in 40 (97.6%), while 1 (2.4%) was by homosexual abuse. The commonest clinical feature was weight loss in 41 (100%), followed by fever (>one month) 39 (95%), chronic diarrhoea 39 (95%), recurrent cough 37 (90%) and oro-pharyngeal candidiasis 35 (85%) in that order. Thirty- six (87.8%) patients had protein - energy malnutrition (PEM), marasmus constituting 58%. Thirty-two (78%) patients were in WHO clinical stage 3 while the remaining 9 (22%) patients were in stage 4. The main types of infections were oral candidiasis, pneumonia, malaria, septicaemia, urinary tract infections, and tuberculosis. Case fatality rate was 91%. Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) was not freely available to children during the period of our study. Conclusion: The mortality of these antiretroviral naive HIV/AIDS children was very high. It is anticipated that current availability of HAART to children free of charge would improve the outcome of HIV/AIDS in this group.


[PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed871    
    Printed30    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded109    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal